Practicing Fire Safety During Winter Activities | SERVPRO® of Henderson/Boulder City
Practicing Fire Safety During Winter Activities | SERVPRO® of Henderson/Boulder City - SERVPRO OF HENDERSON/BOULDER CITY Blog
Any time of year presents the possibilities for a house fire to start, but in the winter it is wise to be extra vigilant about your safety efforts. The majority of house fires begin in the winter season according to the Red Cross’s research, and that is likely due to the fact that many winter activities provide a prime opportunity for fires to occur.
An increase in cooking and baking, as well as the use of heating devices and decorations, can all present fire safety issues. While these things should still be enjoyed, it is important to do so with fire safety in mind to avoid making a house fire part of your winter memories.
Holiday Fire Safety Tips to Keep in Mind
Keep safe when cooking. Cooking is consistently the catalyst for the highest number of house fires during any part of the year, and winter is no different. Winter often brings about large holiday meals and extra baking projects, giving fires more of an opportunity to begin. Avoid keeping flammable objects near the stove and always be sure you have a fire extinguisher handy in case there are any incidents that occur.
Heat the house with proper precautions. If you have a fireplace or a space heater, using it to knock the chill off is likely a regular occurrence—but it should be done with caution. Space heaters have become much safer to use in recent years, so be sure that yours has features such as an automatic shutoff to avoid overheating or tipping. Fireplaces should be inspected each year for issues, and never left burning unattended or while you are sleeping.
Decorate with care. Decorating for the winter holidays is a fun activity, but with the introduction of new electrical wiring brings new concerns. Around 25% of Christmas tree fires start due to wiring, which can be prevented with proper precautions. Never use wiring that is frayed and avoid leaving lights plugged in if you are away or going to sleep. It is also wise to not plug too many things into a single outlet or power strip, as this can lead to sparks.
If you have damage due to a house fire, you can depend on us to help. Contact us 24 hours a day to report damage and receive a quick response from our certified restoration technicians. Get in touch today.