What You Should Know About Water Damage
Without water, where would we be? It’s necessary for life. But there are situations where water can cause distress—namely when it causes damage.
There are many different causes of water damage, but some are more prevalent than others.
From 2009 to 2015, The Travelers Insurance Companies Inc. noted the top five causes of home claims were:
- Exterior wind damage
- Non-weather-related water damage
- Weather-related water damage
It’s interesting that water damage appears twice on this list! Remember, however, there are non-weather-related and weather-related water damage situations.
Non-weather-related water damage comes from problems with plumbing and appliances, while weather-related damage naturally results from rain and snow.
The top five causes for water damage are plumbing issues, appliance leaks, water pipe failures, old water heaters and weather.
There are ways we would like to spend our money—and water damage is not one of them. Take care, however, and be sure that you are covered by your homeowners insurance plan. Look for these situations, which are usually covered by a standard homeowners policy:
- Winter damage caused by snow and ice
- Sewage and overflow of water, even by accident
- Aging hot water heat systems
- Frozen plumbing and pipes
Avoiding water-related issues and potential damage situations is possible if you are proactive.
Take a look at the following list of preventive fixes and routine maintenance suggestions to help you keep your home free of water incidents:
- Applying water sensors and automatic shut-off valves
- Getting back flow valves and standpipes put in basement drains
- Using metal mesh connection hoses on the washer and dryer
- Clearing the gutters and downspouts of debris
- Taking time to flush the hot water tank every six months
- Keeping grease out the kitchen sink and drain
- Running the sump pump every few months and cleaning it before the rainy season
These preventive tips and solutions are just some of the actions you can take to help fight water damage in your home.
Water damage can be a nightmare to deal with, but fortunately, you will always have SERVPRO® of Henderson/Boulder City on your side to help with the cleanup and restoration process. Call today: 702-564-8508