Causes of Commercial Water Damage
Most people have a business they work at and would be impacted if that business was affected by a water loss. When a company suffers a water loss and everyone is impacted. So here is a list of common water damage culprits for commercial buildings.
- Malfunctioning Sprinkler Systems - Fire sprinklers are great and can keep a building safe during a fire, if one accidentally goes off or breaks it can cause substantial water damage to the building, and assets in that building. It is recommended to get your sprinklers tested every few years. It is also beneficial to learn where the shut off is. If you or your building manager do not know where the shut off is, contact us about getting your building prepared with an Emergency Ready Profile.
- Appliances - Just like in a home, most commercial buildings have appliances like hot water heaters, refrigerators, and toilets. All of those things has the potential to cause a water loss. Have a plumber check fittings and pipes regularly.
- Backed up sewer lines - Sewer damages are extremely messy and no one wants to deal with that. It is recommended to get your sewer lines jetted or cleaned every 18 months.
Not all water damages can be fully prevented but there are way to help reduce damage. Call us to schedule your free Emergency Ready Profile. You will be shown all the shut offs to your building. As well as given a list of contacts in case something does happen.
Las Vegas Commercial Building Suffers Sewage Loss
Sewage loss causes damage at Las Vegas commercial building
We recently got called out to a large commercial facility that had a sewage loss in one of their bathrooms that caused damage along the whole first floor.
The photo is of the cause of loss room. The women's bathroom had vinyl flooring that was got under, so that had to be removed and disposed of. The walls had a marlite plastic covering that had to be removed to get to the affected drywall. To get to the affected dry wall 100% of that marlite had to be removed.
To get access to the drywall the sinks, toilets, and lockers in the locker room all had to be detached. You can see even though the water damage only affected materials 1 foot high, a lot more work was required to safely secure the structure.
For experienced restoration professionals call SERVPRO of Henderson/Boulder City. (702) 564-8508
Are You Prepared For Spring Storms
April showers bring May flowers is a popular saying, it is also a reminder to make sure your home is safe from unpredictable rain and wind storms.
It's always a good idea to perform inspections on your home before a storm hits. Some good questions to ask yourself may be, do all of your windows and doors fit to create a tight seal? When was the last time you had someone take a look at your roof? Trees are also something that could cause damage during high winds.
In the event of a bad storm do you have a plan in place or even a ready bag in case you need to leave your home. A meeting spot or emergency for of communication may be a good idea as well.
SERVPRO of Henderson and Boulder City. Is here to help for any of your storm damage needs. We do board ups, roof tarpings, water damages, as well as fire damages that may result from storm damage.
Water Damage Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
I've had a water damage. What should I do?
- Shut off the water source if possible.
- Remove Excess water by moping or blotting.
- Prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks under furniture legs.
- Hang furs and leather goods separately at room temperature.
- Remove rugs from wet carpeting.
- Do not leave books, magazines or other colorized items on wet carpeting.
How long will it take to dry out my home?
It depends, not all water damages are the same. It is all dependent on the size and materials affected.
What are signs of water damage?
Some subtle signs of water damage could include baseboard separation from the wall or paint bubbles on the wall or ceiling.
What equipment is used and how does it work?
There are a few way to dry out a structure but the most common is by using air movers and dehumidifiers.
Air movers are large fans that draws water moisture from wet surfaces through evaporation into the air.
Dehumidifiers draws this moisture out of the air and emits warm dry air.
If you are unsure if you have water damage or have any other questions call SERVPRO of Henderson/Boulder City (702) 564-8508
Baseboard Separation Tips Off Homeowner to Water Damage
Baseboard separation leads customer to call SERVPRO to perform moisture inspection.
We get calls all the time for moisture inspections where a customer might not know if they have a leak or not. Most of it is precautionary and just to ease the customers concerns but other times it turns out there has been a slow leak.
Baseboard separation like in the photo can be a great indicator of a leak. The customer on this job had no idea that the washer behind this wall was leaking until he noticed this.
Luckily this wasn't a very big leak and we were able to take the baseboards off and drill holes to dry out the wall and dry it rather quickly.
If you have any concerns about potential water damage and just need an inspection call us! We have certified technicians on stand by 24/7 for your needs.
Las Vegas Rain Storm Causes Roof Damage
Rain causes ceiling damage in Las Vegas home.
Living in fabulous Las Vegas we are lucky not get the kind of natural disasters the rest of the country has to face. The worst we get is rain. Although when it does rain, it pours. It can cause flooding and as you can see from the photo, damage in your ceiling if you have a leaky roof.
Luckily this customer caught it in time and we were able to assist before the loss got any bigger. To find wet spots in the ceiling we had a couple different tools we can use to help find moisture.
Moisture meters are what we use to determine where moisture is and how saturated building material is. We can also use thermal cameras to find moisture. Thermal cameras pick up temperature and not necessarily moisture but we spots tend to be a good amount colder than dry spots. These tools on a roof leak help ensure we find all the moister that has entered your home from a rain storm.
Mold Prevention Tips
Mold is caused by moisture and grows on a food source over time. That being said reacting to water damages and high levels of moisture could help prevent mold.
Here are a few tips to help prevent possible mold growth.
- Act quickly. Mold needs time to grow so the less time you give it the better.
- Clean and repair roof gutters regularly to prevent damage from getting into your home.
- Make sure your landscaping slopes down and away from the foundation of your home.
- Keep your air conditioning drip pans clean and your drain pipes unobstructed.
- Keep your indoor humidity low. In Las Vegas we typically don't have a problem with this. Humidity meters are pretty inexpensive. In the valley typical levels range from 15 to 30%.
If you have any concerns we would be happy to answer any questions by phone (702) 564-8508 or in person.
Electrical Fire Displaces Henderson Family
We recently finished working on a fire loss in Henderson caused by faulty wiring. This family was displaced for quite some time and lost irreplaceable contents. We at SERVPRO of Henderson and Boulder City would like to share some electrical safety tips to prevent future damage.
- Always have all electrical work done by a qualified electrician.
- It is a good idea to get an inspection done when buying a new home or making remodels.
- Always use one heat producing appliance (Coffee Maker, Toaster, etc.) in an outlet
- Never use an extension cord for major appliances (refrigerators, dryers, washers, etc.)
- Consider having arc-fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs) installed if you do not already have them in place. AFCIs shut off electricity when dangerous conditions occur.
- Check electrical cords and make sure they are not running under carpeting, rugs, or doorways. Extension cords are designed for temporary use.
For more fire safety tips, check our blog!
Cooking Safety Tips
Did you know that the leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking? Most of those cooking fires involve the stove.
We have seen plenty of kitchen fires in our 20 years of restoration work. We hope that these tips can help keep your home safe while cooking.
- Always stay in the kitchen if you are boiling, frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you do have to leave the kitchen for a short period of time, turn off the stove.
- Keep anything that has the possibility of catching fire away from your stove top. Including oven mitts, towels, and even curtains.
- If you have a fire on the stove top, slide a lid over the pan to smother the fire and leave it there until it is completely covered.
- If you have an oven fire, turn off the heat and leave the door closed.
- Finally it is always a good idea to keep children away from the stove.
Hidden Mold Behind Cabinets
Mold hidden behind cabinets
This customer had a leak in their wall and had no idea about it. As you can see when you open the cabinets, everything looks normal. After removing the kick plate under the cabinet we could look back and see the mold.
Not knowing how bad it was we took full precaution, setting containment's, and placing air filtration devices. Taking these precautions are important to not cross-contaminating the rest of the house.
When you have small water leaks, they may be hard to detect and one of the things mold needs is time. Time is a best friend for mold. Catching water damages early is key and is why we have technicians standing by 24/7/365. For fast and quick response on your mold or water damage call SERVPRO of Henderson and Boulder City. (702) 564-8508